Content Editor – Irrigation Association
Posted by: Christie Nissen on September 10, 2022
Posted in: Jobs
REPORTS TO: Communications Director
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Exempt
LOCATION: HQ/Hybrid or Remote
BASE SALARY: $55,000-$65,000
View listing on company website here.
The Content Editor develops and collects compelling content to be published and packaged as articles, stories or posts in support of the Irrigation Association’s strategic efforts to serve as the independent, trusted and credible voice on smart and efficient irrigation. Content will be timely, interesting and shared through the IA, Irrigation & Lighting and Irrigation Today magazine websites; digital editions; newsletters and social media accounts, as well as other IA communication platforms.
The Irrigation Association is the recognized leader for the agriculture and landscape irrigation industry, promoting efficient irrigation technologies, products and services. We aim for a culture that provides an opportunity for creativity, offers meaning and recognizes your unique contributions to our organization.
- Write and edit original feature articles for use in printed magazines, websites and newsletters.
- Write and post news on deadline to IA and magazine websites using WordPress and iMIS.
- Serve as a key member of the IA’s Content Strategy Team (under establishment) maximizing content on all media channels and platforms.
- Edit content to be included in communications and publications for IA and Associated Press style and accuracy.
- Ensure IA and magazine websites are regularly updated with fresh content.
- Work with editorial staff and production to improve IA and magazine websites’ functionality.
- Create and assemble weekly newsletters and magazine digital editions.
- Work with the marketing manager to create social media strategies and campaigns across magazine social media platforms and track results.
- Monitor Google Analytics to study audience engagement and offer suggestions for future magazine content.
- Promote IA and publication programs, podcasts and webinar series as needed.
- Travel to trade shows, conferences and events as needed to report on events and to represent the IA and its publications and programs.
- Work effectively with editorial, sales and production departments.
- Assist with various other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and/or certifications in journalism, communications, marketing or public relations.
- Experience working for associations preferred
- Solid computer skills, including web development (WordPress), design software (Adobe Creative Suite) and MS Office
- Knowledge of HTML and web analytics (SEO, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Google Ad Manager)
- Knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.)
- Knowledge of web design, CSS and video editing tools desired
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing deadlines
- Well-organized and detail oriented
- Exceptional communication and writing skills
- Excellent proofreading skills and execution of Associated Press style guidelines
- Creativity and ability to think outside the box
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or public relations
This position is located in an office setting. It requires prolonged periods of remaining stationary. Candidates need to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc., and need to be able to move boxes weighing up to 30 lbs. They will constantly operate a computer and other office productivity equipment such as a copy machine and computer printer.
- Travel to the Irrigation Show (one week per year, November or December)
- Travel to HQ office or other locations for in-person staff engagement opportunities (once or twice per year)
If you’re interested in joining the Irrigation Association, please send an email with your letter of interest and resume. In addition, please include 2-3 writing samples, one feature article and one short web news brief, in Word or PDF format to: Kris Ritter at email@example.com.
Irrigation Association is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.