Communications and Member Services Manager
Posted by: Christie Nissen on October 5, 2022
Posted in: Jobs
View Listing on National Sorghum Producers website here.
National Sorghum Producers is the national association that serves as the voice for U.S. sorghum farmers and the sorghum industry. The member-focused organization works through education, legislative and regulatory issues to promote, advocate for and defend the sorghum industry. NSP is headquartered in Lubbock, Texas, with members in 30 states and affiliate organizations in seven states throughout the U.S.
The general responsibilities for the NSP Communications and Member Services Manager are to provide a broad range of public relations, marketing communications and member engagement support to the organization. This individual should have knowledge of comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing to advance an organization’s mission and goals. Thorough knowledge and experience in the following areas is necessary:
- Communications planning
- Strategic communications
- Production of newsletters, press releases, marketing literature, podcasts, videos and other print and digital communications
- Website maintenance
- Social media management
- Strong relationship building skills
The Communications and Member Services Manager reports to the Vice President of Communications for related day-to-day activities and questions. The Vice President of Communications performs personnel reviews and works with the Chief Executive Officer on salary administration for this position.
Communications (50 percent): Responsible for communications support for internal and external communication strategies, media relations, social media presence and development of communications collateral.
- Communications with Members:
- Develop and implement overall membership communications strategy, providing consistent communication to growers, corporate partners, and elevator members.
- Develop a framework/talking points for member programs.
- Support organizational communications with written information for newsletters, annual reports, website, social media, etc.
- Provide technical assistance to member programs on public relations, communications, media advocacy and media relations. Facilitate state approaches to communications by working with the member organizations.
- Manage the day-to-day development, distribution and maintenance of print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, e-newsletters, presentations and podcast.
- Provide communications support to all NSP subsidiaries.
- Contribute to the planning and development of Sorghum Grower magazine (published quarterly)
- Online Communications
- Manage and structure and content of NSP website and execute all communication on the website, NSP advocacy platform and social media outlets.
- Expand social media presence through existing and new social media outlets.
- Track and measure the level of engagement with print, social and electronic outreach materials as related to fundraising and awareness activities.
- Produce the weekly e-newsletter, annual report and other special reports as needed.
- Communication with the Public
- Develop, implement and monitor communications initiatives that further NSP’s strategic goals.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a communications plan that furthers NSP’s strategic initiatives and increases awareness of NSP and its member programs.
- Monitor media, oversee archive efforts and assist team with the maintenance of media contacts and regular interview schedule.
- Support management with media inquiries.
- Serve as a point of contact for media, including initiating and responding to media contacts, building relationships and providing relevant information when necessary.
- Write and disseminate news releases
- Work in conjunction with CEO and NSP lobby firms on legislative and public policy issues as necessary, broadening grassroots legislative and regulatory reach and deepen impact of the benefits NSP members receive.
- Assist with Commodity Classic preparation, booth organization and board member coordination.
Member Relations (40 percent): Working with CEO and staff, manage recruitment and retention of NSP members (elevators and individuals). Communicate with members, non-members and others in a relationship building role.
- Develop and oversee the NSP membership journey, and identify ways to improve member engagement and retention.
- Assist in the general planning and implementation of programs designed to cultivate, maintain and strengthen member ties with the organization. Create impactful programs and experiences that enhance member engagement.
- Solicit new and renewing membership.
- Work with administration to ensure timely completion of administrative tasks related to membership and payment processing, coordination of membership renewals, production of membership renewal materials, updating membership data on website, database and in other functional systems.
- Write and update membership communications.
- Assist with planning, coordination and development of all activities and collateral related to annual member fly-ins to Washington, D.C.
Development Support (10 percent):
- Assist Industry Relations Director and other team members with communications for revenue generating options for NSP, including writing of direct mail campaigns, support materials for the solicitation of event sponsorships and other activities, and online fund generation.
- Establish relationships with potential elevator members and coordinate with state organizations to foster, promote and expand program development.
- Collaborate with staff to create industry-focused marketing materials and assets for annual Sorghum Political Action Committee fundraisers.
- Assist Vice President of Communications and CEO in researching new funding opportunities for NSP.
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in communications or related field
- Prior experience in agricultural industries preferred but not required
- Prior experience with public policy or advocacy preferred but not required
- Ability to build member, industry and media relationships
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency in AP Style
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Photo/video experiences a plus but not required
- Experience using social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Self-starter; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Possess energy, maturity and leadership with a desire to unify and position communications discussions at strategic levels
- Ability to effectively work under tight deadlines and manage projects independently
- NSP headquarters is in Lubbock, Texas, but remote work is negotiable
Advertised: Oct. 4, 2022
Applications close: Oct. 31, 2022 11:55 PM CT
NSP is an equal employment opportunity employer and strives to comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, medical condition, or sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and all persons involved in the operations of NSP are prohibited from engaging in this type of conduct.